Sunday, June 2, 2013

Working Hard then Hardly Working

May 18th was the last day of business for the quilt shop where I've worked part-time for the past 6 3/4 years. The owner retired: new grandbaby, the desire to travel and spend more time with family...all good reasons...and I'm happy for her.  And for me too, as soon as I get used to the change.

Up until that time there was a flurry of activity, with weekly sales, consolidating/moving inventory, soothing sad customers (and one another), and trying not to take home half the store myself.  Yep. I was pretty much a squirrel, distracted by the changes, the sales, and wanting to purchase as much as I could afford as "mementos" of the shop.  Fabric and thread as mementos?  Really?  I'm just a big silly.

Anyway, the shop is closed, all for good reasons, but still leaves a big hole in my heart. Don't know if I'll try to teach anywhere else and I'm not looking for another job right now anyway.  I'm retired!  For the second time.  There are mixed feelings:  relief, relaxation, anxiety, fear of turning into a blobby pile of mush.  
Loose ends. No structure. Squishy, like walking on a bog.  

So, after taking a couple of short trips with hubby and then recovering from a cold,  I spent the last 3 days starting a new project!

 My first scrap quilt!
Yes, it took me three days (not full days, mind you) to go through my scraps, iron them and cut them into hundreds and hundreds of pieces.  Scrap quilts may be frugal fabric-wise but certainly not time-wise...at least in the prep phase anyway.
I used up all of my 1 1/2" strips and made a huge dent in my 2" strips.  Then raided my red scraps for the squares and used up all of my Kona white.  Here's what I'm making:


Sorry about the picture...could NOT get my phone camera to stop orienting the picture sideways, and when I edited it and rotated it, it wound up looking squished.  Anyway, the quilt is called "Scrap-Tease" and I found it on a blog (can't remember where). Couldn't find the pattern for sale anywhere but was able to purchase one on EBay.  The pattern is by Bettie Hammock and contact info on the pattern says:
Stitch'n Kitt'n
129 Stonebriar Dr.
Sulphur Springs, TX 75482
Cataberry@bluebonnet.net

I'll post my progress as I go.  Am excited to DO something new!

Am starting another project also...a quilt along with Christa Quilts, called String of Pearls. The button is on my sidebar, and the QAL starts on the 5th.  It will be the first QAL for me.  Very pleased.  New things. Will show more of that in another post, as well as my first hexie project.  

Finding my way through this full-time retirement thing!  Any others in the same boat?  Tips and ideas always welcome!

Gramma Sheri

4 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your local shop closing. It looks like you are on your way to filling the time you spent at the quilt shop with lovely new quilty endeavors. Your scrap basket and squares look wonderful for this pattern. Looking forward to seeing your quilt ... :) Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Changes are never easy but you are so positive. Yes, I kinda went into forced retirement due to not being able to find work and this is when I took up quilting - I think it's a hobby we can get totally immersed in and sorting out those scraps is a great start - I love scrappy quilts and yours is going to be awesome - a lot of time agreed in prepping but so worth it...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Three projects mentioned...it sounds like you are working retirement just fine. As far as I'm concerned, working just gets in the way of fun and retirement would fall first on the list of fun. When my time comes, I don't expect to struggle with retirement at all. Your quilting plans look awesome. I love the looks of that pattern too! Hurry up Shery, I wanna see yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think many of us share your fear about what we will become without our jobs! Sorry you didn't get to choose when you left your quilt shop, but it sounds like you still love to quilt. I always wondered if working in a quilt store was like an ice cream store ;o) I hope you enjoy your time doing whatever you choose each day!! I look forward to seeing your work!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...